Certification must be renewed and paid on a calendar year basis to maintain use of the CFSB certification credential.
Please contact the CFDA office by email to:
- report changes to your email and mailing address;
- request an electronic copy of your renewal notice to renew your certification.
CFSB does not issue certificates for individuals who renew certification at Inactive status. Inactive Status will be applied for individuals who:
For renewals at Inactive status, you will receive an email confirmation as receipt of your renewal and confirmation that you may continue use of the CFSB credential (CMSP, CFD, CET, INT) through the end of the calendar year.
- Do not provide evidence of continuing education credit;
- Have not earned at least 6 contact hours per calendar year;
- Have not provided sufficient CE evidence* to document credit.
You may submit CE evidence applicable for your 2017 certification on or before June 30, 2017. When your status is upgraded to Active, then a certificate will be issued.
After June 30, your upgraded status will be reflected on the CFSB professionals list posted on the CFDA website, however, no certificate will be issued.
*If your current certification is at Inactive status, you will need to report and provide evidence for at least twelve (12) contact hours to reinstate to Active status.
We strongly encourage you to participate in professional development activities throughout the year and track your CE activities to ensure you have achieved the required hours needed to renew your certification at Active status.
Here's what you can do to prepare:
- Print the CE Activity Report form to record your continuing education activities during the past year.
- Gather your 2016 continuing education evidence to prove at least 6 hours of CE credit. You'll need certificate of attendance with CE hours for each activity like conferences, seminars, teleconferences, webinars; letter from the organization in which you serve to verify your service as a Board member; etc.
- A maximum of 2 hours of community service will be accepted. Hosting or presenting at a community service event counts as 1 credit.
- If you've moved within the past 12 months, please contact the CFDA Office immediately to report your new mailing address.
Fees for 2017 Certification
Certifications are renewed on a calendar year basis – January 1 through December 31.
- Certified Mortuary Science Practitioner (CMSP) - $90
- Certified Funeral Director (CFD) - $90
- Certified Embalming Technician (CET) - $90
- Certified Intern/Trainee (INT) - $90
- CFD-CET (dual) Certification - $90
- Late fee if postmarked after January 31st - $35
- Reinstatement (if lapsed in 2015) - $125 reinstatement fee + $90 fee for 2017 = $215 Total Due
A Renewal Notice is mailed to certified individuals in December each year. Renewal fees must be paid annually regardless of whether CE hours are reported. Your status as "Active" or "Inactive" is determined by the number of CE hours reported each year.
CE hours are NOT required to maintain certification; payment of annual certification fees ensures that you may continue to use the CFSB certification credential as CMSP, CFD, CET or INT.
January 31 is the delinquency date for all certification renewals. Certifications are considered “lapsed” if renewal is received after January 31 and are subject to an additional $35 late fee.
Click here for a 2017 CE Activity Report form.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I renew and pay online? Certifications can be paid online, however, you must return your CE Activity report and CE evidence by mail. Please return your renewal notice with payment and CE documentation via mail.
2. I didn't receive my renewal form in the mail; how can I get one? Contact the CFDA office to verify your mailing address and email, and a renewal notice will be sent to you via email.
3. I don't have enough CE hours to renew my certification. What can I do? CFSB certifications must be renewed and paid each year to maintain the credential, regardless of whether CE hours are reported. The CE requirement dictates whether your certification will be renewed at Active or Inactive status. Six hours are needed per calendar year for Active status; no hours are needed for Inactive status.
For additional CE hours, consider distance learning options such as online training or home study courses offered by NFDA. A certificate of completion with hours earned will be necessary to demonstrate credit.
4. My certification status was Inactive last year; how can I restore to Active status? Twelve (12) hours of CE credit earned within the last 15 months must be reported to upgrade from Inactive to Active status. You must report CE evidence on or before June 30 to upgrade your 2015 status and receive a certificate. Otherwise, retain your documentation and submit with your next year's renewal.
5. I only earned 4 CE hours this year but last year earned 10; can any CE hours be carried over? CE hours may be carried over from the previous year under the following conditions:
- Credits were earned after October 1st of the last calendar year;
- Credits were not applied to satisfy your last renewal.
Please contact the CFDA office to verify eligibility of carryover credits before submitting your renewal.
6. I forgot to renew my certification last year; how can I reinstate? If your certification lapsed within the last 2 calendar years, your certification may be reinstated with payment of the current year's certification fees ($90), plus reinstatement fee ($125). Contact the CFDA office to request a renewal form.
If your certification has lapsed more than 2 years, you will need to reapply for certification under the criteria in effect at the time of new application, including new application forms, transcripts, NBE scores, etc.